Monday, January 28, 2008

Conversations-8


Hey Zack, seem to be in happy mood today? What’s up?

Got a mail from Boss this morning. He seems to be having a ball again…

Don’t you miss him, Zack? ….

What to do, buddy? I cannot ask him to take me wherever he goes. …. There are some places he goes where I will not be allowed … Rather he might not want to take me along…

Understandable. What’s he upto this time in Bahrain?

Can I tell you something? … I miss Uncle Vinod more than my Boss, dude?

Didn’t you tell that you picked up this ‘Dude’ act from him during his last visit to Bahrain?

You’ve elephantine memory, though you are shorter than my tail, Tina. .. Vinod is a marry maker. …

Zack, not marry maker, … it’s ‘merry maker’!

Shuddup, your caged pinjira! Teaching me English? Gone mad?

Chill, dude! Don’t forget, you are not born English. Your forefathers came from Tibet, the Lamaland. Since I live with your Boss, I keep hearing the right words, the right way. Felt like correcting, when you mis-stepped. I won’t in future, if you are hurt. Sorry, Zack. Apologies.

Okay, okay….

What’s your Boss upto?

Hawn…. He’s on a paid holiday! He’s roaming around Bahrain. Visiting odd places. Meeting interesting people. Reading sexotic stuff. .. Moreover, the weather is freezing…!

Bahrain? In the Gulf? Freezing? You must be out of your mind. Desert country, pal!

I was an idiot like you till I saw Uncle Vinod’s pix. See, see this. … He’s wearing an Eskimo cap. Wearing woolen. The temperature, Boss writes to me, is 7 degrees at its lowest. Uncle and Boss live in a Guest House on third floor, just behind Immigration Office in All Hoora area. You know, Al Hoora?

Don’t be stupid… I never stepped out of this cage. It’s more than 2 years – living on what I am fed and jumping around inside this Mansion.

Tina, relax. Boss’s daughter once gave you freedom inadvertently by forgetting to lock the door of your Mansion. What you stupid bird did? … You tried to fly away through the grilled balcony. Unfortunately you failed and fell. Then you were recaged. You must have a gameplan to enjoy life. Look at Uncle Vinod and Boss.

Ah! … What do they do?

They chill out, birdie! Boss, as usual, wakes up at 4 in the morning and goes for walk and does other stupid things to keep his body and soul together. Uncle Vinod snores to glory till 7. Then both scoot to office – hardly half a kilometer away. Invariably both skip breakfast because they are in a hurry to get parking space closer to office and they fail almost daily. Pick up something from Jawad Express Stores – some sandwich, some juice.

What’s sandwich?

Good question. You never traveled outside your cage. So don’t know the worldly things. A few pieces of cucumber, tomato, cheese, tucked in between two slices of bread. That’s veg sandwich. Put mutton, chicken instead of veg stuff, it is non-veg sandwich. Honestly, I don’t like it. If you ask me what I like most, a good bowl of upma with coconut chutney, lot of aloo paratha. Sorry, I cannot explain these things. I know how to eat. Don’t know the recipe and preparation.

We were talking about Vinod uncle …

Yes, both eat their breakfast and check their inboxes for emails. Sorry again, I can’t explain these techie things. Call up Kaushal at www.octanmen.com. He has time and skill to explain things to dummies like you. Great guy!

What about your Boss? What he does?

He reads. … (pause) He reads … (Pause) …. He reads.

No other work for him?

Yes. He writes (pauses)…. He writes. (Pauses) He…

Enuf. What he reads and what he writes?

He reads his emails and replies to those emails. Then he reads a lot of crap. About what men want, what women want, how to do kind of stuff. Reads about where to spend leisure time, which place to visit…. He’s crazy about films and …. Girls… Not your neighbourhood variety. Top notch Hollywood, Bollywood…. He writes one of the stories he is reading is: Why Hollywood stars want to shed clothes in front of camera?

Why?

Oh! His job demands that. He is supposed to talk sensibly to his Bosses. There is no original wisdom – like you and I have. He has to acquire knowledge. So he reads a lot.

You’re condescending too much, Zack. No respect for your Boss.

I luv and respect my Boss. It does not mean that I should have not own an opinion about him. Don’t be silly, Tina! It is my freedom of expression. Last night, you called me all kinds of names when we discussed the contents of my Boss’s group publications which we were tearing apart – literally. While I defended my Boss, you attacked. I respect your freedom of expression. Know why?

Why?

At least you’re my family. I mean my Boss’s family. Boss and I should be ready to listen to criticism from within. For instance, if some outside voices the same opinion, what can Boss do? He’s a level handed nut.

Then, what your Boss does?

In between, he runs around with Uncle Vinod chasing….

Chasing what???

Relax, birdie. I know why you are getting excited. … Both chase clients for advertising material and pix for their publication. Then go to Curry Country and some eating joint for a good meal. …. They repeat the same exercise till they shut shop around 8 p.m. …

Then …

Well, that’s where the fun begins…

Fun…

Of course. They watch some Live cricket match being played at some place on Planet Earth. Also some NDTV news to catch up what’s happening back home? Discuss Indo-Australia cricket series.

Do they eat dinner or not?

They do. Only vegetarian. Know why? Because it is cheap.. Ha ha!

What’s so funny?

Forget it. My Boss retires to bed by 9.30 leaving Uncle Vinod to keep watching TV till 1 or 2 in the morning.

Uncle Vinod must be very young.

He’s in mid-30s. Great body. Great tattoo. Only thing missing is … lock of hairs!

He does not go for early morning walks..

Can I tell you something? … Vinod can’t keep pace with Boss in that respect. Rain or shine, Boss is meticulous about his morning walk regimen. Twice Uncle Vinod had gone along with Boss. Then gave it up. I did not ask him. But I know why? You want to know?

Sure… Sure…

Nothing special. Except Uncle Vinod is bit lazy. Don’t tell him that if and when you meet him. He’s chweet Uncle.

What they do on weekends? Thursday nights? Fridays and Saturday?

Good question…. (Phone rings)… Jus a sec. (Picks up phone and listens)

Dude, I have to rush out.

What happened?

My GF’s call that was. She’s waiting near the Qutub roundabout. Wants me urgently..

Girl Friend? Yours?

Yes. I will come back narrate you about Uncle Vinod and Boss’s weekend routine. Bye bye.

More to come…

No comments: